The quintessential Indian chicken curry has the power to unite every non-vegetarian. What do you say? The smooth texture, aromatic spices and herbs, and succulent chicken chunks tossed together make for one of the most indulgent meals ever! Don’t you think? And if you haven’t tried the authentic and flavorful ‘Dum Chicken Curry’ yet, you have certainly missed out a heavenly treat. But here’s your chance to do that right in the comfort of your home- with an easy, yummy, aromatic “Dum ka Murgh” recipe which will definitely tingle your taste buds and leave you craving for more!
‘Dum ka Murgh’ is an interesting recipe that is cooked entirely in ‘dum style’- a process of slow-cooking which results in a one-pot dish of aromatic and delightful flavors. Slow-cooking is most commonly used in biryanis but also leads to lip-smacking results when used in curries. It involves cooking the ingredients in a sealed, heavy bottomed vessel for hours or even overnight in some cases. The slow cooking works like magic in infusing the flavors of the spices and herbs and makes the meat tender.
How To Make Dum Ka Murgh | Dum Chicken Masala Recipe
This recipe of chicken curry involves mixing all the ingredients – including a fresh, homemade powder of cashew, almond and frsh coconut together with chicken including all the other ingredients. It is left to marinate and covered for about 1-4 hours. Post the marination, the chicken is sealed with some atta dough, cooked for about half an hour and served hot! The flavors of deep-fried onions, chilies and spices, including ginger and garlic are deeply seeped into the chicken due to the ‘dum’ process. You can pair this with rice or roti.
Cooking Time: 45 mins. approx.
(curry cut with bones)
|Almond-Cashew-Coconut Paste||Cashew nut-6 pcs.|
Fresh Coconut- 1 tbsp
|Red Chili Powder||1 1/2 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Black Pepper Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger Paste||2 tsp|
|Garlic Paste||2 tsp|
|Lemon Juice||1 tbsp|
|Fried Onions||3 medium sized onions|
|Thick Curd||200 grams|
|Saffron Milk||4 tbsp|
|Coriander Leaves||1/2 cup|
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
|Green Chilies (slit)||2|
- Fry 3 medium sized sliced onions in oil till golden brown. Remove, cool & crush lightly with your hands.
- Dry-roast the cashew nuts, almonds & fresh coconut pieces in a pan. Once cooled, grind to a paste in a mixer-blender, coarse grind it first and then add 5 tbsp water to blend it into a smooth paste.
- Soak 1/2 tsp saffron strands in 4-5 tbsp of warm milk for 30 mins.
- Marinate the chicken with all the listed ingredients above.
- Mix well & refrigerate to marinate for 60 mins.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the slit green chilies.
- Give a stir and add the marinated chicken in the pan. Arrange it in a single layer with a spatula and cook on high heat for 3 mins.
- Now cover with a lid and reduce the heat to medium-low heat. Cook and cover on low heat for 30 mins while stirring at every 10 mins till the chicken is tender and oil separates.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar, mix. Add salt as per taste and water only if required to adjust the desired consistency.
If you liked our recipe on ‘DUM CHICKEN MASALA’ do like, share, comment and subscribe/follow my blog and also Subscribe to our new Youtube Chanel – bongappetit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow our Food Journey on Social Media & Youtube :
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©