Chicken Changezi is a popular chicken delicacy popular in the Northern part of the country, it is said to have its link with the Mongolian ruler and invader Ghenghis Khan. The subtle gravy made with a handful of Indian spices stood its own among the host of spicy Mughlai gravies that followed.
MasterChef India 2016 contestant Chef Sadaf Hussain says, “History of Chicken Changezi is very mixed and nobody really knows the reason why this dish is named so. It is believed that this dish is named after the formidable 13th century Mongolian warrior, Genghis Khan or as Indians would like to call him Changez Khan. He was very particular about his dish and the amount of spices that was used. One of his chef experimented with the chicken dish to suit his taste buds, which resulted in impressing the king. This dish was prepared in milk and cream which cut the spicy flavor of the food. (Source: ndtv food)
Chicken Changezi is made with roasted or fried chicken in tomato-based gravy and can be enjoyed in several culinary hotspots of Purani Dilli. Chicken Changezi is best enjoyed with Roomali Roti or Naan, however, having it with rice is also not a bad option. Try this lip-smacking curry recipe and ofcourse do share with us the experience. However, we do know that, your experience with this chicken recipe is going to be mind-blowing!
Cooking Time: 45-50 mins. approximately
Ingredients for Marination:
(large pieces with bones)
|Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Ginger Paste||2 tsp|
|Garlic Paste||2 tsp|
|Lemon Juice||2 tsp|
|Thick Curd/Yogurt||150 grams|
Ingredients: (to be fried separately)
|Onion (sliced)||150 grams|
(2 large size)
|Cashew nut pieces||1/4 cup |
|Ginger Paste||1 tsp|
|Garlic Paste||1 tsp|
|Tomato Puree||1/4 cup|
(1 large size)
|Fried Onion-Cashew Paste||as prepared|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1.5 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Chaat Masala Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Cow’s Milk||125 ml|
(dried and roasted Fenugreek Leaves)
|Fresh Cream||1/4 cup|
|Olive Oil||5-6 tbsp|
- Marinate the chicken pieces with ingredients specified and set it aside for 1 hour.
- Slice the onions.
- Now take a pan, heat 2 tbsp ghee, add the sliced onions and cashew nut pieces. Fry on medium heat for around 7-8 mins till the onions are slightly light brown in color. The onions should not become too dark in color.
- Now set aside, cool and grind it to a smooth and fine paste by adding around 5-6 tbsp water. Set aside.
- To fry the chicken pieces, heat 3 tbsp ghee in a large frying pan and place the marinated chicken pieces side by side without the extra marinade. Fry on high heat for 3-4 mins and then flip the pieces. Continue to fry on medium heat on this side for another 10 mins. Fry for another 2 mins on medium heat on each side till uniformly browned.
- Fry the Chicken pieces in batches to evenly cook them.
- Blend 1 large sized red tomato and set aside for later use.
- Use boiled milk cooled to room temperature.
- Dry roast the Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek Leaves) and crush it with your hands when cooled.
How To Cook:
- Heat 5-6 tbsp oil in a pan and add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Fry on low-medium heat for 2 mins, then add the tomato purée and sugar.
- Give a mix and fry for 5-6 minute and then add the leftover marination masala. Fry 6-7 minutes.
- Add the fried Onion-Cashew Paste. Mix and fry on medium heat for 5-6 mins till oil separates.
- Add all the Spice Powders, sprinkle some water (6-7 tbsp) and cook on medium heat for 5-6 mins till oil separates.
- Now switch off heat and add the room temperature milk (boiled and cooled) and give a mix. Switch on heat.
- Keep stirring vigorously for 6-7 mins on low heat till it’s cooked and oil separates.
- Now add the fried chicken pieces and mix it well.
- Keep mixing and frying the chicken pieces on medium heat for 10 mins till oil separates.
- Now add 1 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt, give a mix and cover and cook on low heat for 15 mins till meat is cooked and oil separates.
- Now add the cream and dry roasted Kasuri Methi.
- Mix and cook on low heat for 5 mins. on low heat.
- Serve with roti, naan or rice.
If you liked our recipe on ‘CHICKEN CHANGEZI’ do like, share, comment and subscribe/follow my blog and also Subscribe to our new Youtube Chanel – bongappetit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow our Food Journey on Social Media & Youtube :
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©