Hyderabad is a culinary paradise. While speaking about mutton curries in Hyderabad, it is one dish that comes in many variations. While each variation defines everything royal, lavish and decadent. Just imagine a bowl full of mutton curry along with parotta, placed right in front of you. Would you be able to resist? Well, if you ask us! This wholesome combination is very hard to resist.
Succulent mutton chunks marinated and cooked in a pool of spices and herbs, this rich and robust mutton curry hailing from East India is a hit across seasons!
If you are a mutton lover just like us, here we bring you ‘Hyderabadi Style Mutton Handi’ recipe for you to try at home. These recipe is rich and loaded with all things delicious and decadent that you will need to satiate your tastebuds on a Friday night dinner.
Cooking Time: 45-50 minutes approx.
Ingredients for Marination:
(curry cut with fat and bones)
|Turmeric Powder||2 tsp|
|Red Chili Powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tbsp|
|Ginger Paste||1 tbsp|
|Garlic Paste||2 tbsp|
|Whisked Curd/Yogurt||200 ml|
|Olive Oil||2 tbsp|
|Shahi Jeera||3/4 tsp|
|Cinnamon||2 inches sick|
|Bay leaf||2 medium size|
|Onions (chopped)||3 medium sized|
|Coriander leaves (chopped)||1-2 tbsp|
|Mint leaves||1-2 tbsp|
|Green Chilies (slit)||2-3 nos.|
|Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves)||1 tsp|
(dry roasted & powdered)
|Salt||1 tsp (as per taste)|
|Olive oil||5 tbsp|
– Marinate the mutton pieces with items specified above. Refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
– Chop the onions, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Slit the green chilies.
– Also, dry roast the Kasuri Methi (Fenugreek Leaves) and crush it with your hands.
How To Cook:
– Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Add shahi jeera, bay Leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick and green cardamom. Give a stir and for for 1 minute on low-medium heat.
– Add the chopped onions. Fry on medium heat for 9-10 mins till light brown and then add the marinated mutton.
– Fry on high heat for around 5-7 mins and continue to cook on medium heat for another 6-7 mins till the mutton is browned and oil separates.
– Now, add sugar, salt, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, slit green chilies and crushed kasuri methi. Give a mix and cook on medium heat for 1-2 mins and then add 100 ml water and give a mix.
– In case you’re using a pressure cooker, pressure cook for 4 whistles on high heat till the 1st whistle and then on medium low heat for another 3 whistles . Takes around 15-18 mins.
– Allow the pressure to release on its own and then open the lid.
– (In case you’re using a pan, cover and cook on low heat for 45-60 mins till the mutton is tender. Give a stir few times in between and add water as & when necessary.)
-Serve hot with roti, naan or rice. Enjoy!
If you liked our restaurant style recipe on ‘HYDERABADI MUTTON HANDI’ do like, share, comment and subscribe/follow my blog and also Subscribe to our new YouTube Chanel – bongappetit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow our Food Journey on Social Media & Youtube :
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/c/BonGappétitIndia
Instagram : https://www.instagram.com/rakhijana_
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©