Dal Makhani is a restaurant based modern dish originating from the Moti Mahal restaurant in New Delhi, India. The primary ingredients are whole black lentils, red kidney beans, butter and cream. The dish gets its richness from the use of cream or butter. This dish is considered as one of the most popular Dal recipe from the North Indian Punjabi cuisine. Its delicious creamy flavor is very rich and fulfilling that has the potential to sate your cravings on any day.
It is said that the more slow cooked Dal Makhani is, the better it tastes. In many places, Dal Makhani is slow simmered overnight or for many hours, this slow cooking method thus makes a world of difference to the consistency of the dal. Slow cooking makes the Dal very rich and creamy with its scrumptious finger-licking taste. The fastest way to cook the Dal are in the pressure cooker but make sure that you cook the Dal Makhani on a low flame for atleast 20-25 minutes once its prepared at the end.
|Mixed Pulses & Beans (Dal) Usal Mix||250 grams|
|Garlic Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Ginger Shreds||1 tbsp|
|Hing (Asafoetida)||1 pinch|
|Onions Chopped||2 large|
|Tomato Puree||500 grams|
|Fresh Coriander Leaves||2 1/2 tbsp|
|Kashmiri Red Chili Powder (Deghi Mirch)||1 tbsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1 tbsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tbsp|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Butter (Amul)||2 tbsp|
|Fresh Cream||2 tbsp|
|Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves)||1 tsp|
|Hot Water||25 ml|
- Rinse 2-3 times with tap running water & Wash thoroughly, Soak the Pulses & beans in water (as required) overnight or minimum 6-7 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal, 1 tsp salt. Mix and Cover with a lid. Cook till 2-3 whistles. Check if the dal & rajma have cooked thoroughly and softened. Set aside for later.
How to Cook:
- Step 1 : Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a heated kadhai (wok), add 1 tbsp butter, add chopped onions and fry till translucent. Add 1 tbsp garlic shreds & 1 tbsp ginger shreds. Fry over high flame until onions turn slightly brown.
- Step 2 : Pour tomato puree and saute 7-8 minutes over high flame till the raw smell is gone and cooked properly. Sprinkle 2 tsp sugar, kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Mix and Saute over high flame 6-7 minutes.
- Step 3 : Sprinkle 2 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander leaves. Mix well over medium flame. Pour in the pre-cooked Dal in the kadhai (wok). Gently mix over high flame.
- Step 4 : Pour Hot water 25 ml (add more if required if the consistency is very thick & dry). Mix and bring it to a boil for high flame. Simmer for 8-10 minutes; stir in between.
- Step 5 : Add (roasted) Kasuri methi, fresh cream 2 tbsp & 1 tsp butter. Mix and give it a stir. Cover and let it rest over low flame 25 minutes; stir in between.
- Step 6 : Garnish with 1 tsp butter while serving hot with roti or paratha.
Note: Since we used salted butter while making this recipe, it didn’t require any more salt. But you can add salt (if required) as per your taste.
So, what are you waiting for, now ? Go on and try this recipe on your own and enjoy its delicious recipe at your home’s comfort. If you liked our recipe on ‘Dal Makhani’ do like, share, comment and subscribe to my blog and also subscribe to our new Youtube Chanel – bongappétit for many more such exclusively, authentic and delicious food recipes at home. Stay Safe, Stay Healthy!
Follow my Food Journey on Social Media :
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/rakhi.jana.9/
Images are subject to copyright.©